The Buyer/Planner is responsible for source selection and procurement functions directly associated with the company’s needs for raw materials and services. The Buyer/Planner is also responsible for planning and managing production schedules to meet customer delivery requirements and best utilize the company’s productive capacity as well as managing inventory levels. Manufacturing locations are in Vermont, New Jersey and Mexico.
• Responsible for purchasing and negotiating materials and supplies from vendors.
• Initiates purchase orders and amendments for materials and services.
• Ensure that orders are delivered on time and at cost.
• Manages material inventory levels and schedules availability of items to meet production schedules. Conducts periodic checks of inventory and replenishes as required.
• Secures and analyzes quotations, negotiates prices and terms with suppliers, and recommends suppliers with respect to cost, quality and delivery competitiveness for assigned responsibilities.
• Keeps up with demand, forecasts other company needs, and ensures the company is ready to ship product at all times. Makes sure that each day’s scheduled run of items occurs without incident.
• Acts on order releases action and exception messages from the company system.
• Analyzes sales order releases with respect to capacity planning and material requirements.
• Completes delivery date input during sale order reviews. Answers termination or cancellation requests from sales.
• Receives and reviews sales orders against current requirements and work in process using the material requirement planning report.
• Interfaces with manufacturing personnel and supervisors on material status and production planning issues.
• Analyze and resolve scheduling issues that would cause production delays.
• Expedites operations that delay schedules and alters schedules to meet unforeseen conditions.
• Coordinates as appropriate quality matters and engineering changes/developments with suppliers.
• Visits suppliers’ facilities to qualify them as new sources and assists in the resolution of production, design, quality and/or delivery problems.
• Perform other related duties as directed.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Understanding of company policies and business practices including industry standards, Good Manufacturing Practices, ISO requirements, health and safety.
• Analytical Skills: Ability to work with multiple vendors to determine the best deals for the company, will have to evaluate the pros and cons of each, based on price, quality, speed of delivery and other factors.
• Decision-Making Skills: Ability to use the information gathered to make decisions on behalf of the company.
• Negotiating Skills: Ability to work with suppliers to create the best deals.
• Team player capable of successfully interacting at all levels with suppliers, peers, seniors & subordinates in the successful resolution of day-to-day business issues.
• Capable of influencing key stakeholders, collecting critical inputs and facilitate collective solutions.
• Strong communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
• Capability to work independently, handle changing priorities and short time constraints.
• Show strong work ethic necessary for leading by example, miss work rarely and will be always well-presented.
• Spanish as a second language a significant plus
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• Bachelor’s degree preferred with emphasis in business administration, economics or engineering. Experience may be considered in lieu of a degree for a candidate who can demonstrate capable of successfully fulfilling all duties and responsibilities of the position.
• 3-5 years of progressively responsible purchasing and materials control experience in a manufacturing environment.
• Ability to work hours, as required, that are appropriate to completing projects and tasks on schedule.
• Proficient computer skills: MS Windows, MS Office applications (Word, Excel, Power Point).
• Have a strong working knowledge of ERP / MRP systems.
• No direct supervisory requirements.
• Responsible for workflow, training for new employees, and answering job-related questions.
• This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
• This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand on a stool as necessary. This position requires the ability to occasionally lift office products and supplies up to 20 pounds.
• Location: Bellows Falls or Springfield, Vermont.
• General Hours: 8 am – 5 pm (or as appropriate to accomplish customer satisfaction)
• Key Stakeholders: Executive Leadership Team, Sales, Engineering, Quality, Manufacturing
• TRAVEL; Limited travel < 15%. Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-area and overnight travel may be expected.
This description is representative of the knowledge, skill and ability necessary to carry out the requirements of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties of the job.