Reports To: Engineering Manager
The Mechanical Engineer is responsible for designing and developing microphone and speaker assemblies from initial concept through release to production. The Mechanical Engineer determines accurate design, assembly, and test methods to ensure new products achieve defined quality metrics. This position requires interaction with customers to clarify requirements and address quality issues, and with internal Engineering and Manufacturing teams to assure designs are technically sound and can be manufactured to specifications.
• Develop technical designs and technical solutions for specific customer product needs.
• Execute the technical aspects of new product development. Includes definition, design, test, qualification and release to manufacturing.
• Analyze customer requirements and convert to technical and test requirements used in product development.
• Develop technical documentation to support product development, including 3D CAD models, requirements definition, design documents, test plans and manufacturing documents.
• Define schedules as part of development projects.
• Specify, select and configure production and test equipment. Evaluate existing equipment for capability versus state-of-the-art.
• Perform FMEAs for both design and process.
• Provide customer service and support on new and existing programs as required.
• Source components and materials to support development and manufacturing.
• Provide concepts, prototyping, designs and solutions for new and/or existing manufacturing equipment, new product and line extension business opportunities.
• Prepare and process documentation to include specification changes, change request forms, validation documents, deviations, standard operating procedures and work instructions.
• Provide technical assistance to the Quality group in support of non-conformances, CAPA resolution and customer complaint investigations.
• Work closely with manufacturing department to develop, coordinate, and implement technical instruction and direction.
• Perform other related duties as directed
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Understanding of company policies and business practices including industry standards, Good Manufacturing
Practices, ISO requirements, health and safety.
• Demonstrated technical ability designing electro-mechanical products in a structured development environment.
• Knowledge of assembly equipment including setup and use in a production setting.
• Understand Lean Manufacturing and how to apply these principles in new product releases.
• Demonstrated technical ability in acoustical products, including new product creation and release to production, is preferred.
• Familiarity with lab equipment (pull testers, micrometers, microscopes, acoustical testing equipment, etc)
• Ability to manage multiple tasks and prioritize work to meet schedules.
• Possess strong written and verbal communication skills.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• Bachelor degree in Mechanical Engineering, or equivalent engineering discipline. Experience may be considered in lieu of a degree for a candidate who can demonstrate capability of successfully fulfilling all duties and responsibilities of the position.
• 5+ years of experience in a low volume, high mix manufacturing environment.
• 3+ years of industrial or commercial product design experience is preferred.
• History of releasing products to manufacturing (documentation, tooling/fixtures, etc) is required.
• Wire and cable or harness experience is a plus.
• Project team leadership, preferred.
• Ability to work hours, as required, that are appropriate to completing projects and tasks on schedule.
• Proficient computer skills: MS Windows, MS Office applications (Word, Excel, Power Point).
• Project management software such as MS Project is a plus.
• Strong working knowledge of CAD software applications (e.g. Solidworks, AutoCad, Pro-E, etc.).
• No direct supervisory requirements
• Responsible for workflow, training for new employees, and answering job-related questions.
• Manufacturing: Work involves use of manufacturing equipment or close proximity to equipment. May be exposure to some routine manufacturing related substances.
• Recurring physical demands include sitting, standing, walking, crouching and use of tools (or computer).
• Location: Corporate Headquarters in Bellows Falls, Vermont and production facility in West Belmar, NJ.
• General Hours: 8 am – 5 pm (or as appropriate to accomplish customer satisfaction)
• Key Stakeholders: Executive Leadership Team, Sales, Engineering, Quality, Manufacturing
• TRAVEL: Frequent travel between Bellows Falls, Vermont and West Belmar, NJ (50%)
This description is representative of the knowledge, skill and ability necessary to carry out the requirements of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties of the job.
NO RELOCATION ALLOWANCE
· NO WORK PERMIT SPONSORSHIP
· CANDIDATE MUST BE A US CITIZEN OR LEGAL RESIDENT WITH NO WORK RESTRICTIONS