Reports To: Production Supervisor / Plant Manager
An Extrusion Machine Operator sets up and operates wire extrusion machinery in accordance with established company procedures, guidelines and customer requirements. Reads and interprets work instructions, blueprints and diagrams to select, position and secure machinery. Adjusts machine settings to complete tasks accurately, according to specifications, and in a timely fashion. Responsible for ensuring machines run smoothly and efficiently on a daily basis, as well as maintain superior quality control standards while adhering to safety protocols.
- Full responsibility for machine operations including reading, interpreting and analyzing production orders.
- Setup, start-up and process manufacturing machines in accordance with standard work.
- Setup tasks including selecting dies, reading blue prints/drawings and determining proper positioning and adjusting of downstream equipment to maximize efficiency and achieve production goal.
- Inspecting output to assure quality of materials produced including locating defects and checking for conformance to specifications.
- Distinguish between a mechanical problem and an operator error, and to perform troubleshooting and take corrective measures. Diagnose production problems and make adjustments.
- Ensure all secondary equipment is setup and running properly.
- Communicate and repair all malfunction of equipment or tooling to the proper support department.
- Use strong problem solving skills to troubleshoot machines and auxiliary equipment. Determines the root cause of machine alarms. Makes all necessary adjustments and tool or machine repair recommendations.
- Ensure production work orders, outputs and efficiencies are met.
- Check and complete all paperwork associated with the setup and adjustments of tooling, machinery and auxiliary equipment. Document changes to cycles and job log / process control forms during setup/start-up.
- Ensure compliance with all associated procedures applicable to the manufacturing process.
- Accurately count and report production and inventory
- Maintain a safe working environment. Maintain a good housekeeping policy.
- Communicate best practice to other team members and shifts.
- Assist with new product development including R&D projects
- Perform other related duties as directed.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Understanding of company policies and business practices including industry standards, Good Manufacturing Practices, ISO requirements, health and safety.
- Required to have close visual acuity to perform activities such as; preparing and analyzing data and figures, visual inspection involving small defects, small parts, and/or operation or machines, and using measurement devices.
- Be fully conversant with all equipment, tools and measuring instruments associated with the manufacturing cycle.
- Knowledge of processing characteristics of different types of materials.
- Should have good mechanical aptitude, be able to multi-task in a fast paced work environment and have general knowledge of hand tools.
- Team player capable of successfully interacting at all levels with customers, peers, seniors & subordinates in the resolution of day-to-day production issues.
- Show strong work ethic necessary for leading by example, miss work rarely and will be always well-presented.
- High School Diploma is required.
- Advanced technical degree is preferred. Experience may be considered in lieu of a degree for a candidate who can demonstrate the combination of experience, training and education to be capable of successfully fulfilling all duties and responsibilities of the position.
- Ability to work hours, as required, that are appropriate to completing projects and tasks on schedule.
- HIGH LEVEL: 7+ years of experience within a manufacturing environment working with automated machinery. 5+ years’ experience in the operation of plastics extrusion equipment preferred. Experience in ISO 9001, lean manufacturing, 5S, and strong process troubleshooting skills.
- MEDIUM LEVEL: 5+ years of experience within a manufacturing environment working with machinery. 1-3 years’ experience with the operations of plastics extrusion equipment preferred. Experience in ISO 9001, 5S, and sound process troubleshooting skills.
- ENTRY LEVEL: 0-3 years’ experience within a manufacturing environment working with processing machinery.
- Basic computer skills.
- No direct supervisory requirements.
- Responsible for workflow, answering job-related questions, and project participation.
- Manufacturing: Work involves use of manufacturing equipment or close proximity to equipment. May be exposure to some routine manufacturing related substances.
- Includes a variety of conditions, such as proximity to moving mechanical parts and exposure to high heat.
- Recurring physical demands include sitting, standing, walking, crouching and use of tools.
- Heavy Work – Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and up to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Location: Whitney Blake Company, Industrial Drive, Bellows Falls, Vermont.
- General Hours: 6:00 am – 2:30 pm
This description is representative of the knowledge, skill and ability necessary to carry out the requirements of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties of the job.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin.